Cat Foster Care Counselor
The Cat Foster Care Counselor is a part-time position which focuses on placing adult cats which may not adjust to the shelter environment or show well into foster homes; and keeping track of the foster parents and their needs to care for the cats properly. Ability to research and build relationships with other shelters and rescues to coordinate assistance in larger, difficult situations. Coordinates transports to partner shelters in the Northeast.
Excellent communication, recordkeeping, and computer skills. Ability to multitask, troubleshoot, and change tasks as emergencies arise. Mature, reliable, organized, and able to pay very close attention to details. Passionate about cats, and respectful of all cat and dog breeds. Experience with caring for cats and kittens. Must be a fast learner, able to work within an established system, and follow all shelter protocols closely. Training provided. Ability to handle people from all walks of life and of all personalities calmly and professionally, including handling emotionally charged situations. Able to work independently and as a team with the Director of Animal Welfare Operations, Cat Department Manager and staff, clinic staff, and other shelter and community clinic staff. Bachelor Degree preferred.
Flexible availability. This position will encounter emergency situations requiring Counselor to respond during off hours. These situations may include need to go to shelter during off hours to address the intake of kittens, coordinate emergency vet care, and being able to foster bottle baby kittens until another foster is found.
- Primary responsibility is to find a foster home for adult cats who may not adjust to the shelter environment. Finding the foster home prior to the cat arriving at the shelter. Cats which the counselor will be responsible for include adult cats which are overweight, seniors, or have medical needs.
- Counselor will back up Cat Foster Care Coordinator as needed. Will cover foster calls on Sunday and Monday when Foster Coordinator is off.
- Interview and screen potential fosters for short and long-term foster care. Maintain a list of all foster parents.
- Promote annual kitten shower, post wish list, and provide foster parents with all needed items.
- Coordinate with foster parents the pickup of cats and kittens, scheduling of shots, spay/neuter, and placement of cats and kittens into the shelter and pet store partners for adoption.
- Work schedule will require working Sundays and Mondays each week.
- Maintain constant communication on the welfare of the cats in the foster homes, and provide guidance with any questions foster parents may have. Flexible availability required for after-hour calls. Document calls to/from fosters.
- Schedule appointments for sick cat checks. Update shot records and all pertinent information in the ShelterLuv system daily.
- Prepare adoption paperwork and packets for cats and kittens which are adopted from foster homes. Follow up with adopters.
- Develop and distribute customized care plans for special needs cats which are placed into foster homes.
- Assist with the medical intake of cats/kittens entering shelter for the first time, disinfecting and preparing cages for cats, and moving cats when there are not enough staff to handle these duties. Able to give shots and administer medicines. Able to handle fractious and feral cats and kittens.
- Familiarity with Fear Free Handling and Restraint for Dogs and Cats.
- Work with the Volunteer Manager to engage more volunteers to support this work.
- Work with Marketing Department to promote cats on social media.
- Provide weekly status reports to Director of Animal Welfare Operations and Cat Department Manager. Attend weekly Cat Department team meetings.
- Maintain regular communication with Manager and other key staff and volunteers. Notify via email Director of Animal Welfare Operations, Cat Department Manager, and clinic staff of any kittens and cats brought into the shelter during off hours.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager.
Must have reliable transportation
Pet benefits for candidates who have pet(s)
Reference checks (2), criminal background check, and drug testing required
Interested candidates meeting the below requirements should email their resume and two professional references to Lynnalbright@faithfulfriends.us.