Faithful Friends relies greatly on the generosity of our volunteers 7 days a week! Please read the Getting Started and Volunteer Requirements sections below before applying. Applications will only be considered if the entire form is completed and signatures are included.
Ready to apply? Download the application, complete and then email to Volunteer@faithfulfriends.us, mail to Faithful Friends; Volunteer Coordinator, 12 Germay Drive, Wilmington, DE 19804 or drop off to our shelter!
Volunteer Form – Faithful Friends Animal Society
- Once you submit your completed application, Faithful Friends will review it.
- If your interests, qualifications and availability match our current opportunities, you will receive an invitation to attend a Volunteer Orientation where you will learn about Faithful Friends’ programs, services and volunteer opportunities.
- Once you complete the Information Session, you will be schduled for a training session in the appropriate department.
- Once you complete training, you will be added to our volunteer schedule.
- Applicants under 18 years of age must have a parent complete the application.
- Only volunteers who are 16 years of age or older are permitted to volunteer with dogs.
- Volunteers ages 7-16 can volunteer with a parent or guardian in the following capacity: cat cuddler or enrichment (preparing Kongs, making cat toys, etc.) Organizing a pet food/supply drive is also a great way to help!
- Off-site cat adoption centers require volunteers younger than 18 years of age to volunteer with a parent.
- All pets in a volunteers home must have current vaccinations to avoid transferring illness.
- All volunteer positions are subject to a Criminal History check.
- Our focus is building long-term relationship with our volunteers. Our priority for acceptance into our program will be volunteers who are willing to make a minimum commitment of 6 hours a month for 6 months.
- Volunteers are asked for a $30.00 volunteer membership fee upon acceptance to help support our program costs and the overall mission of the organization. The membership fee is one-time for all volunteers except Pet Therapy Volunteers which is paid annually.
Cat Caregiver – Help feed our cats, clean cat cages and free-roaming areas, and help with laundry. Volunteers can help at the Faithful Friends shelter or at one of our off-site locations: Petco Christiana and Kirkwood Highway, Pet Valu Newark and Hockessin, Concord Pet Newark, Smyrna, Middletown, Hockessin West Chester and Frazer.
Cat Cuddler– Cat Cuddlers help to socialize our cats by brushing, playing, petting and/or holding them so they do not get lonely while at our main shelter.
Dog Caregiver– We generally have 30-40 dogs at our shelter and they love when our dog caretakers come to take them for nice walks. Dog caregivers may also be asked to help with laundry, empty trash and sweep & mop dog area.
Dog Cuddler– Dogs do not always get adopted quickly and need extra attention. Dog cuddlers will spend 10-15 minutes with dogs to play, pet, and socialize with them, as they get lonely while they are here.
Laundry/Dishes – Do you get satisfaction from cleaning? We like to make sure our animals have clean bedding and clean dishes so the work never ends! We need volunteers to wash dishes and do laundry.
Office Helpers – Help us with a variety of administrative tasks such as data entry, copying and filing.
At Home Opportunities:
Foster Care for cats/kittens or puppies/dogs – Foster parents provide a temporary home for animals with special medical needs, animals needing socialization and training, or assistance when the shelter is short of space. Foster parents can also assist by bottle-feeding kittens or puppies or assistance with senior animals who are failing in a shelter environment.
Pet ‘Life’ Line (At home opportunity) – Our Pet ‘Life’ Line takes calls from the public; giving guidance to help people find resources so they can keep or take care of their pets, re-home their pets to avoid shelter relinquishment, find low cost services and more.
Healthy Pet Clinics – Low cost vaccination and microchips clinics are held 1-2 times a month year-round. Volunteers assist by registering customers and their pets, filling out vaccination forms, keeping pets safe in line and more. Clinics are held at the main shelter and locations throughout the community.
Adoption Days / Special Event Helpers – Go to various locations to help promote Faithful Friends and our animals! We need help with setting up and taking down, handling the dogs and cats..
Fundraising – Are you creative or organized? There are various fundraisers throughout the year run by volunteers. We have Barkitecture, 5K Run/Walk and other events. We can help you find a match for your skills and interest. Fundraising is vital to fund our operations.
Pet Therapy Volunteer – Participating in Pet Therapy could be one of the most heartwarming experiences that you will ever have. You must be comfortable working with the elderly and/or people of all ages with disabilities. You must attend a Pet Therapy Training Session then your animal must complete a simple temperament evaluation. We have over 50 facilities and programs across the state that we visit and we are always looking for more volunteers with friendly pets.
S.W.A.T (Safety and Welfare of Animals Team) – The team helps build cat enclosures for stray cats, cat houses, trapping, fixing fences for dogs to be safe, among several other animal related maintenance and construction projects within the community.