Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Faithful Friends Animal Society! Please review our Volunteer Opportunities and Requirements before you submit your application. For additional information, email email@example.com or call (302) 427-8514 extension 102.
Join Our Volunteer Team
- After you review the information below, click here to fill out a Volunteer Application.
Applications will only be considered if all required fields are completed.
- After we review your application, we will contact you within 1-2 weeks to invite you to an upcoming Volunteer Orientation where you can learn about Faithful Friends’ programs, services, and volunteer opportunities.
- Once you complete the Volunteer Orientation, you will work with the Volunteer Manager to get involved in the department of your choice. Certain volunteer opportunities do require additional training.
- Applicants under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian complete the application and accompany them to a Volunteer Orientation.
- Only volunteers who are 18 years of age or older are permitted to volunteer with dogs.
- Volunteers ages 7-16 can volunteer with a parent or guardian in the following capacity: cat cuddler or enrichment (preparing Kongs, making cat toys, etc.) Organizing a pet food/supply drive is also a great way to help!
- Off-site cat adoption centers require volunteers younger than 18 years of age to volunteer with a parent.
- All pets in a volunteer’s home must have current vaccinations to avoid transferring illness.
- All volunteer positions are subject to a Criminal History check.
- Our focus is on building a long-term relationship with our volunteers. Our priority for acceptance into our program will be volunteers who are willing to make a minimum commitment of 6 hours a month for 6 months.
- Volunteers are asked for a $30.00 volunteer membership fee upon acceptance to help support our program costs and the overall mission of the organization. The membership fee is one-time for all volunteers except Pet Therapy Volunteers which is paid annually.
Below is a list of Volunteer Opportunities at Faithful Friends Animal Society. To find out more about a specific opportunity, be sure to click on the name.
What you can do at our shelter:
Cat Caregiver – Help us feed our cats, clean cat cages and free-roaming areas, and help with laundry. Volunteers can help at the Faithful Friends shelter or at one of our off-site locations: Petco Christiana and Kirkwood Highway, Pet Valu Newark and Hockessin, Concord Pet Newark, Smyrna, Middletown, Hockessin, West Chester, and Frazer.
Cat Cuddler– Cat Cuddlers help to socialize our cats by brushing, playing, petting and/or holding them so they do not get lonely while at our main shelter. Cats who have a longer stay at the shelter really appreciate the attention!
Dog Caregiver – Help us take our dogs on their daily walks. Don’t forget to scoop the poop! Dog caregivers may also be asked to help with laundry, empty trash, and sweep & mop dog area.
Laundry/Dishes – Help us wash laundry and dishes. We like to make sure our animals have clean bedding and clean dishes, so the work never ends!
Office Helpers – Help us with a variety of administrative tasks such as data entry, copying, and filing.
What you can do at home:
Foster Care for cats/kittens or puppies/dogs – Foster parents provide a temporary home for animals with special medical needs, animals needing socialization and training, or assistance when the shelter is short of space. Foster parents can also assist by bottle-feeding kittens or puppies or assistance with senior animals who are failing in a shelter environment. This volunteer opportunity requires a different application. View our Foster Page for more information.
Pet ‘Life’ Line (At home opportunity) – Our Pet ‘Life’ Line takes calls from the public; giving guidance to help people find resources so they can keep or take care of their pets, re-home their pets to avoid shelter relinquishment, find low-cost services and more.
Dog Ambassador Program – Our Ambassador Program offers volunteers a higher level of interaction with a shelter dog. Each dedicated volunteer is paired with a dog who needs additional enrichment and training to improve their behavior and to relieve stress often associated with shelter life.
What you can do in the community:
Healthy Pet Clinics – Low-cost vaccination and microchips clinics are held 1-2 times a month year-round. Volunteers assist by registering customers and their pets, filling out vaccination forms, keeping pets safe in line and more. Clinics are held at the main shelter and locations throughout the community.
Adoption Days / Special Event Helpers – Go to various locations to help promote Faithful Friends and our animals! We need help with setting up and taking down, handling the dogs and cats..
Fundraising – Are you creative or organized? There are various fundraisers throughout the year run by volunteers. We have Barkitecture, 5K Run/Walk and other events. We can help you find a match for your skills and interest. Fundraising is vital to fund our operations.
Pet Therapy Volunteer – Participating in Pet Therapy could be one of the most heartwarming experiences that you will ever have. You must be comfortable working with the elderly and/or people of all ages with disabilities. You must attend a Pet Therapy Training Session then your animal must complete a simple temperament evaluation. We have over 50 facilities and programs across the state that we visit and we are always looking for more volunteers with friendly pets. This volunteer opportunity requires a different application. View our Pet Therapy Page for more information.
S.W.A.T (Safety and Welfare of Animals Team) – The team helps build cat enclosures for stray cats, cat houses, trapping, fixing fences for dogs to be safe, among several other animal-related maintenance and construction projects within the community.
Volunteer as a Group:
Faithful Friends welcomes the help of groups from schools, businesses, and more! You will need to contact our Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or (302) 427-8514 extension 102 to arrange a date for you and your group to come to our shelter. These visits can be scheduled Tuesday – Saturday and generally last between 2-5 hours.
- Volunteers ages 18 and older can work in our Cat Department, helping with Cat Care and Cat Cuddling. You are also able to help in our Laundry Room washing dirty laundry & dishes.
- Volunteers younger than 18 must be accompanied by at least one chaperone. Junior volunteers are able to work in our Laundry Room as well as cuddle cats.
- Groups of volunteers cannot work with our adoptable dogs as this requires additional training.
- Volunteer fees do not apply to groups of volunteers.
Court-Ordered Community Service:
Faithful Friends allows volunteers with mandatory court-ordered service requirements to fulfill those hours at our shelter. This must be approved by the Volunteer Manager first. Click here to fill out a request form. Applications will only be considered if all required fields are completed.
Still Have Questions?
If you have questions about volunteering, please contact our Volunteer Manager at email@example.com or (302) 427-8514 extension 102.